Golden West Community Services District

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the GWCSD’s Responsibility?

The GWCSD is responsible for the maintenance of the County owned roads and associated drainage (culverts and ditches) within the district. Roads not owned by the County may not be maintained by the GWCSD (District maintained roads).

Is GWCSD a Homeowners Association?

No. The original development, Golden West Paradise Property Owners Association (GWPPOA) functioned in the same manner as a homeowners association by collecting dues and having the authority to enforce CC&Rs. The Golden West Community Services District (GWCSD) was formed for the sole purpose of maintaining and improving the District roads. GWCSD funding is via a tax collected by the County on your property tax bill and is currently $120 per year.

Does GWCSD have CC&Rs?

No. The original Property Owners Association did have CC&Rs. Although they were never rescinded, the authority to enforce them was not transferred to the GWCSD when it was formed.

Why can’t the GWCSD work on the “side roads”?

The California Constitution (Article 16, Section 6) prohibits the gift of any public money to private individuals. The side roads are established by easements across privately owned property. Because the District is funded by public funds (taxes), any expenditure on those privately owned side roads would be considered a gift of public funds and therefore illegal.

What is required to bring a “side road” into the District?

How many road miles does the GWCSD maintain?

About 8 miles including the encroachments.

How many parcels are in the GWCSD?


What is the GWCSD Common Area?

The Common Area is a 19.8 acre parcel belonging to the GWCSD located on the east side of Dolomite St. just south of the Manganite St. junction (See Map). No taxes are assessed on the property.

What is the GWCSD's Annual Revenue?

Approximately $150,000 (2024)
This is the sum of the $120 per parcel taxes and the Ad Valorum tax revenue from the County.

How Much is the Annual GWCSD Parcel Tax?

$120 per Parcel per Year (2021)

What is the GWCSD Fiscal Year?

From July 1 to June 30 of the following calendar year

What is the GWCSD's History?

GWCSD History

Does my property line extend to the center line of the road?

Not if you live on one of the District maintained roads dedicated to the County by the original developer. Crystal Blvd. for example is on a 60 foot wide strip of land owned by El Dorado County. The surfaced road on that strip of land is maintained by the District, a condition of the dedication. In addition there is a 20 foot utility easement on each side of the road.

If you live on one of the easement (side) roads you may own part or all of the road. Check your parcel map.

Who is responsible for speed limit enforcement in the GWCSD?

Typically the CHP is responsible for enforcement of the Vehicle Code on County roads and in years past they had agreed to do so. However, more recently they have declined to do so because the District roads are not maintained by the County. Nonetheless serious violations should be reported to either the CHP or Sheriff’s office. In particular, violations related to school bus operations will be taken seriously.

The GWCSD has no authority nor capability to enforce the speed limits.